Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hello World!

So this is the start of my blog to go along with my Etsy shop Flora and Feathers, and to start it all off I figured I'd introduce myself and what my shop is about.

My name is Hollis I am 21 years old and I live in Juneau where I am currently working toward my BA in Art with an emphasis in ceramics and drawing. I have been obsessed with making things since before I could walk, and absolutely love making things that are both beautiful and functional.

I started making hair clips and headbands for myself and a few friends about a year ago. We were making them for fun, to socialize, and to procrastinate from doing our other projects (mostly). After a while my friends suggested I try selling them, but I waited for a while until after I had figured out a good layout and color balance and how to put them together cohesively.

My Etsy shop is more about trying to make some extra cash (not that I don't want that too) but it's about finding a little freedom in something that no one is assigning me to do. I'm not doing it for a grade or for approval from the art world. It's me doing what I enjoy and putting my work out for the world to see whether they like it or not.

Now that I'm done with my finals for the semester and summer time is here I am excited to get to work making more hair accessories for anyone that wants them.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Good luck with your website and all your flora & feathers things!...and with your trip (where you will get tons of great ideas for art and clips)!

    ReplyDelete